Wednesday, November 16, 2011

CARBS: Yes??? No???? When??? GOOD NEWS for "Carb-O-Holics!"

It's always the same proverbial question when it comes to wanting to eat a bit healthier, and keep the waistline in bounds! CAN I STILL EAT CARBS??? And of course, the answer is a resounding YES you can, with a few suggestions!


Carbs are a very necessary part of your everyday diet. I do not approve of too low or no carb diets. I just suggest you understand that eating more complex (unrefined) carbs, vs. ALL refined, simple carbs, (white sugar/white flour products and pop namely) is healthier and will help you in the battle of the bulge ;-) So while you enjoy those special treats, and may eat some simple carbs, you will have an edge relying more on Complex Carbs because they empower the body with:


 A long term sugar energy that lasts longer, without spiking insulin and blood sugars.
REMEMBER: Besides diabetes or hypoglycemia, FAT is stored in sugar/insulin spiking!
 Intact enzymes that weren't robbed in processing so you digest easier w/out bloating.
 Fiber, so vital to disease prevention, giving a feeling of fullness and aiding in eliminations.
 Vitamins essential to health, especially B-vitamins, crucial to the nervous system & hormone health.

And there are many many more reasons the right kind of carbs are essential to wellness and weight management!


Here are the Complex Carbs you will want to incorporate more than the simple, stripped sugary ones. Remember again, it's all about moderation.....a lot of the good, a little of the bad, and don't sweat it. But if you eat refined carbs as your main carbs, expect your body to be starved of nutrition, to be acidic and therefore leave you open to diseases and to battle your weight continually!  And you may have candida, or yeast in the body, which can cause a myriad of problems from migraines to an impaired immune function!


Yams/Sweet potato/Red potato in order of first to last in how they break down.
Oat bran or steel cut oat hot cereals/boxes cereals that are whole grain/gluten free.
Brown rice/basmati rice/wild rice.  Limit white rice, as it turns to glucose asap!
Lentils/Kidney beans/Black beans/Garbanzo beans/Hummous/Split peas/Barley.
Whole grain breads in moderation, hopefully a gluten free mix or spelt over wheat.
Most vegetables, excluding white potatoes and corn, and fruits like apples/berries, etc.
For chips, shop Whole Foods at least once, and just try some of the alternatives!


I eat mainly complex carbs. And when I want a dessert, I do eat one, without guilt. As I choose dark chocolate, cupcakes/pies/cookies that are  delish, but just have some twists on the recipes, such as being made with an all purpose, gluten-free flour, using a less refined sugar, such as turbinado, agave, evaporated cane juice, etc. TURBINADO is my favorite. Brown sugar in the store is JUST caramel colored WHITE refined sugar! Do not think it is less refined.

So this week, I will be having a slice of black bottom pie from Marlene's Market and Deli in Federal Way, Wa. It is "off" my normal routine of complex carbs, and that's fine. I don't eat simple carbs every day. It is the best pie I have ever eaten, I give it FIVE STARS, and it is on a gluten free w/nut crust 2die4! I will show a picture! And I will enjoy EVERY bite. I don't bring extra home, I'll cave in...LOL...and I don't bake a whole one.  So yes, when you do the cupcakes, muffins, pie, cookies, make better choices, but if they are the exception, and not the rule, your body will be ever so happy!  Happy Week. Thanksgiving is coming, and it's the easiest holiday to eat healthy and deliciously! ENJOY, and thanks for the comments from my wonderful readers ;-)

2 comments:

  1. "Brown rice/basmati rice/wild rice" -- Is that brown basmati, or white? Brown basmati is my primary form of rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen, you always catch my leaving something to people's imaginations...TY so much. BROWN basmati...I don't use WHITE in any form if I have the choice. There are times I'll eat a gluten free product made with brown rice flour and a little white rice flour if the brown is first. But white is just devitalized, and not just empty, it breaks down like Z-O-O-M as you know. I love how informed and educated you are in the realm of whole, live foods. Thanks for your help, it does take a village if we are going to leave that WHOLE FOOD IMPRINT! CHEERS my dear!

    ReplyDelete